Self-Control  

Friday

I have been a part of the Christian church long enough to know that there are some things that are considered forgivable sin and some things that are not. There are some that are talked about and some that are ignored. More often then not the basic cause of sin is our personal lack of self-control.



My biggest curiosity is: why do we as a group of people cut off the sinner instead of helping them. Is it because we see too much of ourselves in them? Is it just easier to cut off our own arm than deal with the pain and the time it takes to heal someone?


1 Corinthians 12:22-27 On the contrary, it is much truer that the members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary;
23and those members of the body which we deem less honorable, on these we bestow more abundant honor, and our less presentable members become much more presentable,
24whereas our more presentable members have no need of it. But God has so composed the body, giving more abundant honor to that member which lacked,
25so that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another.
26And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it.
27Now you are Christ's body, and individually members of it.


Somewhere along the way we miss the point. In our need to look godly and perfect we don't use the gifts He gifts us to love the unlovely. I am guilty of this very thing. When I see a high profile preacher with all of his baggage posted on the 6 o'clock news, I think "great, one more I have to make excuses for when people ask." As a Christian community we immediately say, "He/She must not have been a "real" Christian, or they wouldn't have done that." Have we thought for a moment of our own personal times of weakness? What do we do when our self-control has taken a vacation and we sit with the repercussions staring us in the face?


It isn't all bad news and we don't always cut off the arm. The greatest strength I have in this world is the body of believers that I call family. Without the people around me that hold me accountable and notice changes in my behaviors I would only have myself to answer to. Admittedly, my own personal judgement is a little off at times and I can use the occasional calling out. I can also use the love, patience and kindness that has been shown me numerous times by my family as they pick me up out my pit of self-destruction.


I would like to challenge us all as the Body of Christ to be willing to hold on to all of our parts, even the least. Be willing to make the sacrifice of healing and loving the imperfectness that lives in all of us. We are all a work in progress.



Fertile Soil (Family Challenge)


It has been a couple of weeks since we started our Fruit of the Spirit series. Take a little time to review the importance of all of the fruit in our lives with your children. It is important to help them understand that it is hard to be successful with one, without another.


Help your children understand the important role that they play as a part of the Body of Christ. Teach them the power of forgiveness. Teach them how to love and be patient. Become each others accountability partners, not out of judgement but out of love. Your children are planted in fertile soil, be the water and nourishment they need to be connected to the one true vine.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Email this post


 

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster