Backyard: Our Community  

Thursday

Matthew 28:18-20 (msg) Jesus, undeterred, went right ahead and gave his charge: "God authorized and commanded me to commission you: Go out and train everyone you meet, far and near, in this way of life, marking them by baptism in the threefold name: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Then instruct them in the practice of all I have commanded you. I'll be with you as you do this, day after day after day, right up to the end of the age."

Who, Me? Is he talking to me? Make disciples, teach, baptise. That isn't my job.

There was a long period in my faith where I felt incapable of leading people. I felt too imperfect and not smart enough to answer the questions people had about Salvation. My internal dialog was great at reminding me that I am just a wife, just a mother. Mission field; ministry, I don't think so. I am not sure what had given me the idea that I wasn't capable of sharing God's love with others. Maybe society, maybe my own lack of self-confidence or I was just scared to get it wrong.


Without the dedication of a few wonderful people I would never have stepped out and shared my testimony with others. (Fellowship) My confidence in sharing the gospel gets stronger and stronger the more I read and learn His Word. (Study) I have a "new" life. I don't just have a better life because of my Salvation. Living in Christ has given me an entirely new life. My testimony, my past baggage are proof of how great our God is. My life has been transformed.


My ministry is in being a wife and mother. (Worship) I may not be flying to a foreign country any time soon but my commitment to my Savior is just as important to the people in my everyday as it is to the people in Africa. I have learned to be careful in judging what God can do through people when their hearts are open. Sometimes when I don't feel so friendly and want to keep to myself, I try and remember that Christ himself asked me to go out in His name and share His grace. What right do I have to keep all of God's blessings to myself? Regardless if I think they deserve it, God thinks they too are worth the sacrifice that He made.


Stepping Out (Family Challenge)


I think our children could probably teach us a thing or two about unconditional acceptance. Have you ever noticed how children that just meet are instantly friends, capable of sharing everything. With no thought to how they will carry on a conversation and how they instantly find things they have in common.

This week lets get messy with a little craft.

Get a couple different colors of washable (water based) paint.

Craft paper (long enough to fit your foot on)

Paint brushes (sponge will work to)

Okay, clear a space on the kitchen floor. If you bought the right kind of paint you should have nothing to worry about, but keep a few paper towels handy. Maybe a bowl of water to rinse feet off in.

Pick who will go first. One at a time, each of you make a commitment to step out into your communities (school, work, sports teams, etc) and make a difference for Christ. Talk to your kids about being called to share what Christ has done for them. Help the younger ones paint the bottom of their feet and place them on the paper. Maybe let them paint the bottom of your feet.

When you are standing in your kitchen, feet covered in paint remember to thank God for the blessings He has given you.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Email this post


1 comments: to “ Backyard: Our Community

 

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster