Intangibles: Atmosphere  

Tuesday

Do you remember the challenge we were given during Nick's sermon in December? He asked us to intentionally bring change to 3 separate environments.


Matthew 5:13-16 "You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men. "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. "Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

So, did you pick three? Did you change the atmosphere of a place because you were there? Was God glorified?

I have to admit, I haven't thought about the three environments I chose until I sat down to write this blog. I know it was on my heart over the holidays though and looking back I can kinda see a change in each environment. Going against the grain a bit here, I will tell you all three of my "environments" were actually relationships. I am going to share one of my experiences in the hopes that some of you will share how this challenge manifested itself in your own lives. (And if you didn't do it, that is okay, today is a great day to start.)

So, my first and most important environment is actually with my daughter Madi. Sometimes as mom, I can be really hard on Madi. Always seeing her potential and expecting the above and beyond from her. I know this isn't bad but sometimes I forget to take time to just be a light in her life. Sometimes our environment is more like a battlefield than a peaceful home. Over Christmas break I really made an effort to pick my battles and found time to pour into her the praises she deserves. With a little extra helping of self-control and patience, of coarse. God is amazingly faithful to me when I am ready for change that will truly glorify Him. I also called on a few accountability partners to keep me in check through the last few weeks. My goal now is to continue to change and find the balance that is so necessary in my relationship with Madi. I was reminded with this challenge that it isn't my job to just teach my girls about Christ but to show them what it looks like to be salt and light. My words mean very little if I don't pour into them the very things I tell them to do.

"To change atmosphere, be people willing to influence atmosphere"
~Nick Rains

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Email this post


 

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster